Dr Anita Bearzatto
General Practitioner, Lactation Consultant
Anita is a General Practitioner and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Anita consults with families experiencing lactation (breastfeeding) problems and other issues related to maternal and child health. Anita also sees regular general practice patients. Anita is passionate about supporting families during their breastfeeding difficulties, acknowledging that every family has different breastfeeding goals. She is also active in providing education to healthcare professionals and the community on breastfeeding issues.
Anita can be consulted for all breastfeeding issues including:
- Nipple and breast pain
- Nipple thrush
- Nipple vasospasm
- Blocked ducts
- Nipple conditions eg cracks, white spot, dermatitis
- Latch issues
- Slow weight gain in the breastfed baby
- Low breast milk supply
- Breast milk oversupply
- Infant fussiness at the breast
- Assessment and management of tongue tie including release where appropriate
- Issues of medications and breastfeeding
- Induced lactation
- General medical issues of the breastfeeding mother and baby
- Issues related to the introduction of solids and weaning
- Antenatal lactation consultation (preparing for breastfeeding/discussing previous breastfeeding issues)
About Dr Anita Bearzatto
Anita completed her medical degree at Monash University, Melbourne and later gained a diploma in obstetrics and gynaecology. She became a fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and then worked for many years as a GP.
She became a qualified International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in 2007 and worked as a Lactation Consultant when living abroad. Since her return to Melbourne she has combined her experience as a Lactation Consultant with her role as a General Practitioner. This has enabled her to manage complicated breastfeeding issues and many other issues related to maternal and child health.
Anita works closely with other Lactation Consultants and Maternal Child Health Nurses and provides education to healthcare professionals and the community on breastfeeding issues.
Anita works in private practice at two locations. She also works on occasions at The Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne.